Dear Pottawatomie County Stakeholders,
As spring transitions to summer, the stages of our floodplain mapping project are also moving forward. Here’s a quick update on the Middle Kansas Watershed:
- Hydraulic modeling is nearing completion in the Belvue and Saint Marys areas. The modeling once finalized will be independently reviewed by another contractor, and then the draft mapping will be placed on the web review map for everyone to look at. The time frame on this is getting close and should happen by mid-summer. This timeframe will also include plotting the new Kansas River elevations from the WB Co modeling over to the PT Co side, as well as a new draft floodway for Wamego.
- Once drafts for the new areas of mapping are completed, we will schedule a Flood Study Review (FSR) Meeting and begin the community review of those drafts.
- Mapping for the Wamego area is simply waiting for the other portions of PT Co to catch up. Once community review has been completed in Belvue, Saint Marys, and portions of PT Co we will begin public review for the entire area, including Wamego. While comments have been received from Wamego and addressed, if there are additional comments they can still be submitted through the community review period for Belvue and Saint Marys.
- We will discuss public review and how we recommend communities notifying residents of their opportunity to review and comment on the map at the FSR Meeting. A public open house will be help towards the end of the public review period and we will discuss that as well.
- For now just stay tuned and we will provide the new drafts when they are ready and will scheduled the FSR Meeting (likely to be held in Saint Marys) at that time. That meeting will likely occur late this summer.
You will be able to find presentations, reports, project timelines, and other info at the Project Website. Feel free to provide the link to anyone with questions. Never hesitate to call or email if you have any questions.
As always, thank you for your participation,
Martin Koch, CFM
Floodplain Mapping Specialist
Kansas Department of Agriculture - Division of Water Resources